Asked about the rumour that French president Nicolas Sarkozy has offered him a post in the French government last December, former Barcelona player Lilian Thuram (37) has confirmed the offer in an interview with French newspaper Le Monde:"It's true. I've met Nicolas Sarkozy and Claude Guénat, his chief of staff, who offered me to become Minister of Diversity.
We had a long discussion. But for obvious reasons (Thuram has been very critical about Sarkozy and his policies over the last few years, btz), I could only refuse the offer...
Politics is something very noble which doesn't allow that you're just doing it like that. You have to learn things. That's what I'm doing right now by meeting people with all kinds of views. At this moment I don't want to enter politics, but maybe one day..."
Lilian Thuram joined Barcelona in the summer of 2006, arriving from relegated Italian club Juventus in a package deal with right back Gianluca Zambrotta. He left the club last summer when his contract expired. Few weeks later, the Frenchman retired because of a heart condition. With Barcelona, Thuram won one Spanish super cup in 2006.
Read more:
OFFICIAL: Thuram retires
Heart problem could cause end of Thuram's career






0 Response to "Thuram rejected offer to become French minister"